Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Beginning in 2019, the Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA) will be known as the Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program, and therefore, all program policies and participants will be subject to the regulations for teacher exchange participants established by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB). TEA is implemented by IREX, a Washington, DC-based nonprofit organization, brings together 150-180 international secondary school teachers to the United States to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States.
Up to four grants are available for this 6–week program in September-November every year. Successful Thai teachers will be placed in cohorts of about 18-22 teachers at eight U.S. universities that are selected through a competitive process. The program consists of academic seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, curriculum development, lesson planning, teaching strategies, and computer training. Intensive English language instruction will be offered to teachers who have a TOEFL ITP test score of lower than 425. The program will also include an internship at a U.S. secondary school to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program.
- Be a Thai citizen in good health, under 50 years of age at the time of application deadline;
- Be secondary-level, full-time teachers at the time of application and after return with at least five years of classroom experience in either English, social science, mathematics, or science;
- Hold a bachelor degree or higher;
- Have an approval for a leave of absence from the school/institutional administration.
- Attend the pre-departure orientation during mid-August;
- Be willing to participate in any academic activities organized by Fulbright or other related agencies upon return to Thailand;
- Continue teaching for at least five years after completion of the program.
No English proficiency score is required at the time of application. However, successful applicants will be provided with an official ITP TOEFL test the following day after the interview. The selected candidates must have a score of at least 425 to be eligible for nomination to IREX.