For young teachers of English to teach Thai and, at the same time, to take courses in American universities – 9 months
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
FLTA Program provides an opportunity for young Thai teachers of English to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency while extend their knowledge of the cultures and customs of the United States while strengthening the instructions of the Thai language at U.S. higher education institutions for nine months.
FLTA Program has a tremendous multiplier effect in the U.S. and in the home countries of the FLTA fellows. U.S. universities benefit from the presence of a native foreign language speaker on their campuses. FLTA fellows may teach up to two classes and are required to enroll in at least two courses per semester, one of which must be in U.S. studies. The remaining coursework must relate to their careers in English language teaching. FLTA fellows will also be expected to facilitate cultural events, language clubs and language tables.
Selection will be based on the candidates’ leadership skills, ability to motivate students to learn, and interest in teaching their native language and culture to U.S. students. Ideal candidates for the FLTA Program have a desire to meet people and become a part of their host community by participating in community events and campus activities. FLTA fellows should also be creative and self-reliant team players, who are able to maintain excellent relationships with faculty, staff and students. FLTA Program is demand-driven and final selection is dependent on the ability to match the requests of U.S. host institutions with the language skills of the applicant pool.
All FLTA fellows receive a monthly stipend, health insurance and travel support. U.S. host institutions provide tuition waivers to support the required coursework.
NO. OF GRANT
5-7 grants annually
- Be a Thai citizen in good health
- Be a teacher of English at Thai university or public secondary school
- Be no more than 35-year of age by August 1 of the application year
- Have a TOEFL score of at least 79-80 (IBT)/ 6.0 IELTS, taken within 2 years and valid until August 1 of the application year
- Received bachelor’s degree or higher at Thai University
- Must return to Thailand upon completion of the nine-month program. The Program will NOT support any extension requests for applicants
- Demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity, and professionalism
Tel: 0 2285 0581-2 Ext. 104